Friday, December 10, 2010

John Lennon – Plastic Ono Band

I’ve still been on a Beatles/Lennon kick for the last few days and I knew I had this album in both CD and vinyl format for reasons other than just to be a trendy douchebag. The line-up is tight and lean with Yoko Ono being the fourth member adding “wind,” it’s the only post-Beatles album that features two Beatles on every single song (Ringo Starr and Lennon) and one of my all-time favorites. I remember hearing the individual songs on different greatest hits collections but I found a lot of them all on here, Lennon’s debut, Plastic Ono Band.

Part of the reason why it sounds to good to my ears, at least, is the fact that Starr is still playing drums on every single song here. Lennon definitely marks the occasion away from his Beatles days with pride (his full name “John Lennon” credited under every single song, the cover of just him and Ono) and still, he holds on a bit. The energy on “Remember” is tremendous and the clustered piano with sheer dissension is an amazing choice. Lennon asks if we remember and the music pulses with an intense pull. Right before “Love” it’s surely startling but the change of pace is excellent and the sequencing is one of the best aspects of Plastic Ono Band – everything just made sense.


I love how it starts with this harsh snarl “these freaks on the phone, won’t leave me alone…” before tearing into this blistering stomp. The music is so incredibly direct and the drive is on a physical ride for the best. I imagine bands like Queens of the Stone Age and others of similar style listening to this and being blown away. This came out in December 11 of 1970 so it sounds so fitting right now to hear it; but it’s crazy to imagine that Lennon had all of this music ready just months after The Beatles broke up. Everyone talked about how Lennon finally tackled his demons, denouncing everyone, “They can’t do you no harm to fell your own pain,” and it was justly poignant. Especially after the gorgeous swoon of “Hold on John,” “I Found Out” is a buzzing, freak-out gem of rock music.


I’m gonna get into some great hip-hop soon and hopefully write about it but Lennon was still in my mind and I’m blasting the record now so it made sense.- Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...