Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Radiohead - True Love Waits

The basis of my love for Radiohead is probably Thom Yorke’s voice or the fact that, in my book at least, they are the most musical band of my time. And I remember falling in love with their words and music in my primitive years, when everything was forming inside of me – it’s like if we bonded but not really. Their lyrics always get a huge flack from haters that don’t seem to grasp the bigger picture: sure “All I Need” is a shattered lovelorn shout for attention but it’s also completely beautiful isn’t it? In many ways, Radiohead’s lyrics are some of the best I’ve ever heard and there will probably be no one greater for me – no matter how jaded or nostalgic they may imply to be.

“True Love Waits” was one of the few songs during the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions that spoke to me; and it didn’t even come out on either of those albums. It’s somewhat of a guitar ballad that features Yorke’s voice in prime position. Hard to believe this was going on in my head when I was nothing more than a punk high school kid because it’s pretty powerful and endearing. The twists are magnificent; it’s also depressing in many ways and entirely downtrodden. At the end, “don’t leave” is all he can say as he begs for her to stay. Nothing more or less than an outstanding song, just kind of feeling it. Here's an awesome version I found when they did MTV's "$2 series." – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...