Wednesday, December 8, 2010

John Lennon - I'm Only Sleeping/Love

I always solidified whatever thoughts I had about love with what John Lennon sings about on "Love." I think that there are so many arguments you could make about him being the best Beatle and I'm not sure if I even care, but "Love" was always the quintessential love song that was always genuine and never fake. I'm grateful for being able to grow up around such good music and I remember stealing Lennon's collection of hits from my dad to jam out to. "Love"'s simple piano melody and Lennon's voice are about as close to perfect as you could imagine. This song came out on his debut solo, Plastic Ono Band, and as I've been listening to that album a lot today, it still sounds vitally new. I still remember putting on the headphones and blasting the beginning just to be able to fully take in the quietness he was reaching for. The lyrics are so endearing and it's pretty special really.


Have you ever gone through your Beatles stage where you wanna find out who really wrote the song, who really sung the vocals and who really wanted it written to begin with? Sure, they had agreed on the Lennon/McCartney label long before but many songs were chiefly Lennon or chiefly McCartney. I always knew and felt "I'm Only Sleeping" as one of Lennon's song. The jangled melody allows the drums and bass to trip over each other and his words are so delectably easy to sing ("Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away"), I could sleep all day. Revolver gets a lot of attention but this song just might be my favorite Beatles' song and it's a Lennon one, I'm sure of it. - Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...