Thursday, December 15, 2011

Feist - Metals





I love the new Feist album because of how amazing everything around her tremendous voice sounds. Right off the bat, on “The Bad in Each Other,” she rides on a grimy, biting, trudging-along rhythm that focuses on the terrible-ness in relationships. Her voice has always sounded very very very great but on Metals she sounds like a magnificent instrument on top of her fantastic arrangement of instruments. This particular songs starts off the album with rich colors of sounds that are provided through a careful attention to stirring effects; her voice is like a persevering hope and her range is downright impeccable. It took me a long time to find out the magic of Feist’s music, I’ll admit I am not a fan of previous efforts but am going to re-visit them based solely on how much I love Metals. Because I do, I really do.


I’m glad I gave it an honest chance, although I knew I didn’t like her previous albums. Simply because it sounded great and well, it just made sense. And well, also, my ears suck. Ha.

I like “A Commotion” because it reminds me of Spoon with its stabbing drums and propulsive hits. It sounds out of place and when the voices shout “A commotion!...A commotion!” with the horns blaring, it all sounds some kind of fantastic. Pulsating like a chugging train, the motion underneath Feist is supported by strings and she’s allowed to dance around it all. Her voice sounds breathy and seductive most of the time, dynamically-flavored throughout and stunning all of the time. The song ends up being like something left off Strange Mercy (reminders, reminders)? That’s the beauty of the album, her amazing voice and how it’s front and center. This song places the strong, impressive force of her songwriting and matches it to her stellar voice. Plus this song is a recent live recording of it and you can see her ha. Just a couple of songs off this probably already over-talked, but very deserving spectacular album. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...