Friday, December 16, 2011

Atlas Sound - Parallax

The best sounds of 2011 came at different times for me. It’s always best to find as much music as possible but sometimes I can sure get in a rut. But still, music was flowing like a river and by the time Parallax flowed in, I was lost. I’ve probably already developed a bad case of fanboyism for too many bands and artists; regardless, I love Deerhunter and well, now this album is probably the best thing Bradford Cox has done in three years? So better than Halcyon Digest is my main take; it’s by far my favorite Atlas Sound album so far and well, Logos, is spectacular. Here’s “Mona Lisa” and flawless guitar pop with enveloping vocals.


I love “Te Amo” probably the most. It begins with this arpeggio-like melody played on a scaling keyboard that introduces a soft light; there’s a dark, but very subtle shade of gray that permeates in the atmosphere, you hear it in the beginning and it leads into the swell before his voice appears – just listen to the light mist at the very beginning. I love the tapping pattern of the drums and the way every instrument and new layer counter off each other: it’s endearing how advanced his compositions are, now. Everything sounds vibrant and very lush and ornate, as if you’re inside of the dreams (or nightmares) that Cox lives. He sings, “You can come around, when you’re down you’re always down…always down,” and there’s a tremble of guitar and bass that coalesces into a perfect slice of pop. It’s mostly what Parallax is about, he’s still sad, we all are but the music is just so sugary bliss. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...