Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Antlers – Burst Apart (the best of 2011…)

I’ve written about this album a lot this year. I’ve been able to group a lot of my music into one semi-cohesive ball of gel in my head and during much of late November and most of December I focused on really honing in on a tight 2011 list of favorites. Burst Apart was probably one of the safest hitters in that I knew it was easily a top 5 album for me but without a doubt, my #1 of the year. I am still searching for music to find and am still finding various 2011 albums that will probably be added to my list later on but until then, I was able to make a solid list and this is my favorite. I might list that whole thing later, I might write more about it. But before I exasperate all I have left to say about Burst Apart, some more songs here to check out.

I love the very beginning of it, with “I Don’t Want Love,” it brilliantly leads into the overflowing charm of “French Exit.” There’s just something so defiant about it and yet so reassuring and resounding with it: I don’t want love. The guitars are rough around the edges, a pacing melody is heard throughout and while the vocals highlight on a moving-on theme, there is no doubt that this is all about personal growth. The music swells to where the drums are forcefully on full display and Peter Silberman’s voice is allowed to sing in falsetto above everything else. It’s like a blend of U2 when they made Achtung Baby with a blend of Radiohead back when The Bends was currently being made. It’s a lovely entryway onto the album – it neatly introduces a lot of the themes, moods and expressions felt all through Burst Apart – and it justly places the focus off the desolation of Hospice and onto the aching beauty of this new album.


While the album maintained itself as my personal favorite, it was always due to its flawless flow and sequencing. Every song is a new slice of life, a new rendering of magnificent music to take hold of. On “Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out” the macabre appears in lush and ornate The National-like style with chugging guitars and swirling keyboards that are juxtaposed between soft, tempered verses and banging, rousing choruses that feature fantastic percussion. The song melts away the scope for a rigid look into pop and rock perfection and how the two still seemingly work hand-in-hand. And still, it’s just part of one massively great album. Ha, as already probably noted too much before. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...