Sunday, March 13, 2011

Radiohead - Bloom

Little by little, this is really starting to become quite an obsession. I’ve realized so many different thoughts with this album; the first song, “Bloom,” (Above is "Almond Branches in Bloom" by Van Gogh) seems to be about the budding growth of knowing that it’s time to move on – that you’re finally ready to make that first step. Whether it is knowing that you’re ready to move to a new town, or that it’s best to switch jobs or that it’s time to fall in love, the bloom is where the natural desire comes in to play. So I think “Bloom” is probably a very meaningful choice to open it all and it sounds…so right.

I think the crazy snare rhythm – the triplet repetition – is downright infectious. I find myself crazily tapping the rhythm away to myself either in my head, out loud or even just tapping it incessantly as if the rest of the instruments are all playing alongside of me. Some people look at me like I must be nuts and a few recognize what I’m doing and probably still think I’m nuts either way, ha. But the emphasis here is probably on realizing that what you’ve been trying to chase is actually what’s been holding you back. There’s these rapid keyboard and piano lines trading off melodies and a ghost of voices behind Thom Yorke as he declares “While the ocean blooms, it’s what keeps me alive” before wondering “So why does it still hurt?” and the music is so justly poignant. Typical fashion, all of the words are embellished and elongated and this whole time, on top of all this mist, clutter and denseness is that crazy rhythm always pounding away. It’s like if you don’t know what to focus on and the entire time, all the band is doing is merely gelling off each other. In the end, it’s about never taking yourself seriously really, “Don’t blow your mind with why” and just go with it. Or at least that’s what my weird head thinks. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...