Saturday, August 21, 2010

Björk – Post

A noticeable hater from the beginning, my love for Björk took a long time to flourish. Although I was generally encircled by fans of her music and she was time and again recommended to me, I in no way took a liking to any of her music. She was someone that I had to work through and it really wasn’t until 2004’s Medulla, that I finally began to appreciate her music and now, well, I love everything she’s done (minus Volta). So I was a late bloomer to what’s probably my favorite of hers, Post. Plus, somebody really cool reminded me about her and well, that’s where we’re at.

I love how “It’s Oh So Quiet” flexes back and forth in just about every aspect: loud to quiet in seconds, duple to triple meter switch on a dime, blending the jazz and rock she is fusing with the juxtaposition of strings vs. horns, her sudden jolts in the fashion of her screeching yells. And yet, for some people, those same aspects could be the kind of stuff that turns them away from such beauty. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and Björk is beautiful to me, here is the official video to this song, directed by Spike Jonze:


Later on in the album she gets intensely into the sci-fi space of the spectrum. If we ever wanted someone to communicate aliens, I’d always assume it be Björk to represent us. It’s about the indifference and ‘in limbo’ feeling we have when trying to decipher our feelings. Some consider it games and others live their lives this way but in the end, we all want love in our lives. I love how she sings, “As much as I definitely enjoy solitude, I wouldn’t mind, perhaps, spending a little time with you…sometimes, sometimes” and then later demanding, “Where’s that love you promised me?” Ouch…so anyway, I think this music is awesome, hope you do, too. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...