Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (Pt. 3)

One of the very first things that really sucked me in to this album was its diversity. I don’t think that any of the songs sound like any of the other songs on the album – I hope that makes sense. But on a song by song level, they all sound so dissimilar from each other and yet, they paint this cohesively illustrious picture. Here's a couple more to check out. (if anyone is actually listening to this stuff, please let me know.)

This one is “Modern Man,” which is, essentially, about living in a world where everything is losing meaning, where nothing seems to make sense and where you just kind of sit there, stagnant, against the current. He sings about breaking the mirror and changing the cycle and how it all “Makes me [him] feel like, like something don't feel right.” The connections are everywhere, with the best lines coming when he’s offering the youngsters advice: “Maybe when you're older you will understand why you don't feel right…why you can't sleep at night now.”


I made a copy of this album for my mom and she’s been avidly listening to it. She’s even called me a few different times while in her car and I hear various different moments playing in the background. She mentioned a song about living in a city with no children and then said, “But the one after it, the one with that awesome sound in the beginning? Well, I love that one so much.” For me, it’s even something that she can listen to it but love a song off it? Here is that song, “Half Light I,” singing about “hiding the ocean in a shell,” and I won’t ruin it by saying too much, expect that it’s absolutely gorgeous: - Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...