Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Arcade Fire – The Suburbs (Final August Edition…pt. 4)

I figured it be a great way to close the month and ring in the new one with another few lame talks on The Suburbs. Now, don’t get me wrong, the writing by me might be lame but the music is anything but, I promise. I could probably still hear it 100 times straight and I’d still hold it close and dear to me. It’s still the album I love with all of my heart and it hasn’t grown weary yet. I know, I’m lame but here are a few thoughts on two more amazing songs. (For the last time? Maybe, maybe not.)

The second half light feature follows a pretty heavy expectation: being just as good as your predecessor. And though the first half light is definitely one of the album’s many memorable moments, like the other second-parts on the other suites, it’s a livelier, more upbeat feel. Here the vocals are shared between a lower register for the female and the lead on top singing about how “Some people say we’ve already lost but they’re afraid to pay the cost.” There’s growth and expansion throughout the song, with the addition of more thumping drum machine, more tapping drum set, more syncopated cymbals and an impressive lead into the ensuing battle…


I heard “Suburban War” for the first time when I was in the shower and I couldn’t believe that it was actually happening. It was a Monday and I was in the middle of it all when I heard the explosion and the ensuing chaos. Naturally, through a few walls and shower-head, it was a bit muffled but my immediate reaction was, “Oh wow, what just happened?” This was way before I knew that the war had already been foreshadowed on the first song, how the same line about “grabbing your mom’s keys because ‘we’re leaving’” would be repeated and how in the end, “The music divides us into tribes. You choose your side…I’ll choose my side.” I love the simplicity of it and how everything can change in an instance, forever. It’s definitely when it first hit me that this was a special album – nothing’s changed since that day. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...