Wednesday, May 26, 2010

LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

"But honestly, and be honest with yourself, how much time do you waste? How much time do you blow every day?"

I know it’s lame to post about an album that everyone has either heard or at least heard of already. But LCD Soundsystem’s latest album, This Is Happening, has been my most played album for the last three weeks and it’s been growing on me more and more. Not only do I think it just might be James Murphy’s best album to date but its sounds are so effectively superb that it sounds like it was crafted through years and years of delivery. It’s shocking to find out that its recording process was rather quick and all done in The Mansion, the famous ten-bedroom mansion owned by Rick Rubin.

The opening song, “Dance Yrself Clean” is easily, one of my favorite songs of the year. It’s stunning because sure, Murphy is mostly an electronic artist but the sounds he’s created are so brilliantly amazing that it’s almost like classical music in a modern setting. And by the time that explosion hits, you’re left in awe:


But as I’ve slowly gotten to get into, each song on This Is Happening is simply astounding. There’s the incredible growth of the closer and how it ties in the musical theme presented on the aforementioned opener, there is also the way “One Touch” continues to add more and more drums before offering its own change of pace, the beautifully developed sounds on “You Wanted a Hit,” and also the startlingly great indie rock of “All I Want.” But what has had me really addicted lately is “Pow Pow” and its memorable one-liners. Not only do the sounds and rhythms recall Talking Heads but Murphy’s casual delivery and his ability at creating those one-liners ("I'm paralyzed and looking through you. But if nothing's right, we try anyway") is unmatched, check it out here. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...