Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Beirut – “On a Bayonet,” The Mars Volta – “Asilos Magdalena,” Interpol – “Direction”

I had some haunting dreams last night so I was eager to wake up and blast some music. And sometimes you have to mix things up, so for this post I will be posting three songs found at random on my music player. Well, not entirely random; I’d stop in a random spot and then purposely pick out a song that might be a bit lesser known but every bit as good as anything else out there. Check them out and let us know what you think by leaving a comment or message in chat box, please!

Beirut – “On a Bayonet”
This would, at first, appear to be nothing more than the horn and sax section warming up before “The Shrew”’s terrific Tuba comes in. However, this is a growing, swelling and sweltering collection of trumpets, saxes, trombones and more blowing away towards a fantastic manifestation of sounds. To be succinct, it’s a warm up, sure, but it climaxes and grows into a vicious crescendo that is both stunning and gripping.



The Mars Volta – “Asilos Magdalena”
When Nick or I talk about local music, it’s funny how we don’t mention (and I didn’t check but I’m almost positive they’ve never been brought up before) El Paso’s darlings, The Mars Volta. Two high school friends who grew up being teased ended up making one of the best psychedelic, heavy rock groups of our time and their music is beautifully composed. So much so, that you forget about a gem like this and yet, it always pops up; sung in Spanish with a quiet acoustic guitar and glorious vocals, my favorite line is this chillingly deep one:

“En mi vida, el oscuro me mantiene.
Cuando yo te vi, en la lluvia, me prometistes tu sangre…yo no me quedo”

“Which translates to, “In my life, the darkness will comfort me. When I saw you, in the rain, you promised me your blood…I won’t stay.” Yikes, that’s good.



Interpol – “Direction”
Six Feet Under was a truly great show; it was dynamic, poignant and stirring. But I didn’t hear about this Interpol song from watching the actual show but rather, while over-hearing Arcade Fire’s “Cold Wind” one day. Not on any proper Interpol album, this song expands and grows with the addition of new rhythms and instruments. While at the same time, getting louder, once the climax hits the band is heard singing “Direction,” in repetition, until the decreasing sound dies out. Simply bad-ass. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...