Thursday, March 25, 2010

New Music & 2010 Songs, Pt.1

I’ve been away for the past few days trying to set certain things in motion and adjusting to countless changes at work left and right (it now looks like my weekends off will no longer be come May.) Regardless, I wish this not to be a journal but rather, a focus on the magic of music. I mean, it is magical right? But I’ve also been busy attending some tremendous shows filled with astounding music. I look forward to making posts about each band’s talents and skills and also, I offer up some of 2010’s best songs of the year. I’ll try to do this each night but I can’t make any promises and in the meantime, I’ll get some kind of “Best albums of the first quarter” post ready for next week.

U.K. rockers Let’s Wrestle took to the ‘stage’ first at Sunday night’s show for Surreal Week. Fresh off signing a major deal with Merge, the garage rockers opted for water with tons of lemon to soothe their aching voices. Their music was an amazing effort: energetic, blasting through the speakers and ridiculously raucous. Singer Wesley Gonzalez did his best at reaching for the high vocals but even though his voice was cracking left and right, their bassist and drummer are rocks of solid rhythm. Fresh-faced and young in every aspect, their music swelled with an intense amount of volatile vocals and explosive guitar riffs. Their new album, In the Court of the Wrestling Let’s is out as of Tuesday, I got my hands on two home-made CD-Rs and I suggest all of their music; the whole album is streaming here for a limited time at Merge’s site.

And here is Black Rebel Motorcycle Club’s “Half-State,” a face melting slice of psychedelic blues rock that shakes and rattles with an impressive amount of flair. Check out the seven-minute mark where the top of the roof comes blasting off, it’s euphoria. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...