Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Daniel Johnston

"Don't be sad/I know you will"

Even though my general disdain for social media is constantly focused, it shouldn't deter me from keeping up with musical news. Too often I'm buried under my rock - alone in my little corner of the world - that I lose sight of so much. A couple of Sundays ago seeing bits and pieces of the grammys despicable show, their "in memoriam" feature slapped me with the realization that Daniel Johnston passed away last September. He, too, loved to live beneath his shell, burrowed in the hallows of his spiraling thoughts. At least he crafted honest gripping music with all of that desolate time.

I think they called his brand outsider music but I first heard of Johnston while attending ACL in 2008. The festival's official poster was created by Johnston and I was intrigued to listen to more from this curious artist. He was even there for a brief period signing posters but ignorant on his music and mired in a high frenzy of festival hysteria (read: weak excuses) I didnt get his signature on it.

For me, I really enjoy the innocent rawlike qualities to his music. I gravitate towards that type of pensive, longing style and Johnston's lyrics were beyond poignant -- his recordings always had the ability to have me shedding tears. His world was broken but he was sincerely yearning to spread peace and love through his humble soul. Outsider for life.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...