Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Michael Jackson – Thriller

No idea how there is not one post about this man here. To be honest, I’ve tried before but everything I started to type feels so not special, so unnecessary and mostly, lame – kind of like this. But after I pulled out this album and another Kanye West album and noticed I have Yeezy at eight (!) posts to MJ’s zero (soon to be one!), the guilt was too much. My sister and brother-in-law say they have footage of me going nuts, dancing at their wedding to Mr Michael Jackson – I’m hoping that never, ever leaks.  

Quick sidenote: I was in California the day he passed. We were at Sea World in San Diego when I got the message and a part of me wishes I would’ve driven to Los Angeles, an hour or so away, to be with all the fans there. Simply an admission of a serious oversight.

This album here, Thriller, is what many would declare as a perfect album. Sure, it showcases Jackson’s skill at optimum quality – every single song is a masterful classic – but it captures a moment of sheer musical genius during Jackson’s golden years. He made really great music before and after it, but Thriller is simply the pinnacle, by far his magnus opus – unless we’re counting movies, then it’s easily The Wiz! *By the way, MJ owned one of the E.T. puppets.* I used to be part of some forums where all I’d discuss is music: subjects like your favorite albums of the moment, arguing about which album by so and so artist is better, finding new music to explore, discussing the best albums of the year and talking about how reviewing sites have no idea, reading others’ opinions on the same music opinions you have since you don’t know anyone as crazy to listen to it all, etc. And an immediate discussion I noticed, I posted a nomination to one of the ‘best opening song on an album’ and how “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” was worthy of such merits, then I found another discussion about “best three songs in a row on an album” where obviously four thru six here (the self titled beast, the obvious one 1 (Beat It) and the obvious one 2 (Billie Jean)) are jam-packed with style, flair and utter brilliance. Three songs in a row that completely compel you and hey what do ya know, they’re three of the best songs of all time! So I surely had to raise my voice in these occasions.

Naturally, there was a discussion on bookends and what were the best ones, and here is where a small debate surely arose. You take the aforementioned “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” and “The Lady in My Life” and you have an easy argument. But many felt the latter left something to desire. My take is obvious: it’s an unabashed heartfelt song that maybe sounds dated when you listen to it brand new today, but it’s definitely showcasing Michael in strong fashion. His voice simply melts away at the end and the finely layered synths and beats make for a song that is dynamically deep and exceptionally stunning. In my opinion, the way the album flows, from the beginning stomps, the easygoing nature until the triple header and then bona fide classics again with “Human Nature” and my personal fave, “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)”, to end it with a rousing closer like the aforesaid is definitely perfection at its finest. Nine songs necessary, nothing else needed or required, this is definitely an album of albums. Here’s those last two songs, to really present some balance and above all else, the greatest ever. – Bryan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...