Monday, May 7, 2012

Drake – Take Care pt. 1


The Drake-fest has begun. For the last two weeks or so, maybe my neighbors are the most annoyed now, I’ve been heavily into his album from last year, Take Care. To make a long story short, I heard his first album only (never anything before) and it felt dead to me. And who knows, maybe after I fall off this one I can get ahold of Thank Me Later and enjoy it just as much? Nonetheless, I immediately assumed that Drake was not an artist for me. It was a confusing aspect: some people who’s taste I don’t truly admire/respect (such pretentious words yes) love him, yet some people who’s taste I truly to admire/respect love him, and his comparisons to other arrogant yet brilliant artists (Yeezy here) and objective comparisons to sounds like The Weeknd always had me, well yeah, confused. This album came out last year, I decided to ignore it although many people of all kinds love(d) it and after some continuing struggle, I finally got it and now, it’s something I definitely love . I don’t know why some albums or artists have to be like this, or does it all even matter, but this is one awesome album.

This very first song, “Over My Dead Body,” sets the tone beautifully with Michael Jackson-like synths and breathy, female vocals. Here Drake envelops his tones with lush layers of string-like synths that scale a wall of notes that sound both rich and melodically sweet. His voice is actually something to behold because of how honestly he sways his words and his flow, admittedly, is something very impressive. He’s basically recounting how he’s adjusted to fame and how it isn’t as easy as it appears and yet, he’s lamenting about how he’s just a young artist, trying to improve. I love the way he can masks his confidence (“I’ve just been playing, I didn’t even notice I was winning,”) and how he basically is a swaggering, tough artist. This album is all about combining the words with the sounds so seamlessly that it’s downright flawless in presentation. I’ve got a lot more to say, I’ve had these first six or so songs on repeat lately and I’ve basically got them memorized now. But this is an album that will get many more parts I’m sure. Til then, the first one.  – Bryan

And yes, go teme go, Chelsea gonna take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...