Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fever Ray – Fever Ray

So I mentioned Fever Ray the other day and I simply needed to force myself to try and remedy something about this amazing album by the main part of The Knife, Karin Dreijer Andersson. This album, was such an honest surprise for many people that had low expectations – for whatever reason. But it’s spooky calming feeling is such a rich, dark shade of extensions from The Knife, this self-titled album is killer. This very first song, “If I Had A Heart” is such a fantastic way to start the whole thing off. There’s the chugging bass line, that menacing synth line in the background, the overall chanting vibe of the music: more give me more. There’s this rugged feel to it and all the while Andersson’s voice goes through various ranges, octaves and keys to travel a wide path in amazing skill. Here’s the lyrics to torture us some more:

This will never end ‘cause I want more. More, give me more, give me more
This will never end cause I want more. More, give me more, give me more

If I had a heart I could love you. If I had a voice I would sing.
After the night when I wake up, I'll see what tomorrow brings

If I had a voice I would sing

Dangling feet from window frame, will I ever ever reach the floor?
More, give me more, give me more.
Crushed and filled with all I found, underneath and inside just to come around.
More, give me more, give me more.

If I had a voice I would sing

Now there’s some spectacular “Ahhhs” in there where her voice reaches awesome peaks. There’s as much atmosphere and layers as there is musicality on this album and her voice is simply amazing. That first song has so many interpretations, personally she seems to me like she’s channeling some feeling of depression here. The more give me more chant is like a nod to Gregorian chant and at the same time, it sounds so perfect. It could mean a lot of different things really.


This next one, “I’m Not Done,” drives more of the upbeat electronic music that definitely recalls some of The Knife in spades. There’s the layers of voices that she collects and attacks with from the beginning, the rapid beat in the background, the scaling keyboard line in the foreground, the swooping atmosphere that’s encompassing the spectrum as each dynamic is raised: it’s a massively decorated electronic bliss. She half-hearted declares and shares: “One thing I know for certain, ooooh I’m pretty sure…It ain’t over, I’m not done,” and it’s after sharing a list of trials against her. She sounds like a true force to be reckoned with all over this album, her voice commanding authority, and here – covered in a blend of beats and patterns all around – she sounds bad-ass, for lack of a better word ha! Yessss, those strings and cloudy sounds at the end are great to close. Everything on this album is so great. Here’s to more. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...