Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wye Oak and The Walking Dead

I think I just passed my first block of the new year. I had been pretty prolific for a while until I died down, a bit ago. I’m not sure how permanent this is but I hope to ride it out some good while. Here’s some fodder for now.

It’s no secret how great The Walking Dead is. As a show, I think it’s possibly only getting better and judging by how the producers and directors discuss it, as if it’s only going to get even better. The second season just ended and sparingly as it is used, the music they use on this show is downright awesome. I love how its mostly current music (one episode has Randall listening to Wooden Shjips on his headphones) and most recently they used Wye Oak’s “Civilian” in an opportune closing segment. I couldn’t find that specific video but if you’ve seen the show, you recognize the song, mostly.

Here is the original version off the album by the same name. It’s got this chugging guitar that prevails throughout and I love the way her voice just powers on this song. The lyrics are up for interpretation, although it could be about someone never feeling that acceptance, whether from friends or loved ones or whatever. I especially love the line, “I know my thoughts, I can’t live with them,” they’re so jaded and bad, they’re terrible thoughts. The force of sound that explodes on the song is tremendous and easily, the flow and drive through the dynamics makes the song a swelling experience.


That album came out last year and it sort of took me by surprise. I think it’s an album that definitely deserves some talk. Here is an older version of the same song, where the band is more upfront and quiet, her voice sounds awesome still and it comes together well. Maybe later I can talk more about the album as a whole only. - Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...