Thursday, December 1, 2011

Atlas Sound – Logos

I was presumptuous last time when saying November would have double digit posts. I am bummed we didn’t get more than five. December will be different; let’s be modest and say at least double that. Here’s to not being presumptuous.

By the way, I’ve never said this here I’m not sure but "Breaking Bad," please watch it. I might write on it soon. I think I could form some decent, objective reasons as to why it is the best show on TV. Then they would turn into passionate, deep subjective reasons that has everyone wondering if I’m nuts. I might be. I’m not. But that show, is spectacular. The best. Until then, "It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is the best show too, comedy wise. Nothing beats it, except maybe "Louie." But those three, yes, the best right now. "Breaking Bad," I highly recommend it.

This album, Logos, has barely seemed to set in for me. I’m not sure what it is with music but I can live with something for years and barely get the magnificence of it years after. This happens maybe because I have a lot of sounds coming in and out. It might be because it gets filed in a categorical, canon-style like manner. It could be just poor excuses that amount to a lack of focus on what music is really about: bursting aesthetic pleasure. Wait, that’s still an excuse.

Either way, somehow I didn’t quite understand the glittered luster of “Sheila” and its driving percussion, the drowning guitar and Bradford Cox singing “Cuz no one wants to die alone…” and how it is pop bliss. There’s a shimmering guitar, layered in between a tattered shaker and Cox’ longing vocals to Sheila. Like a modern-day, awkward and dorky Stanley Kowalski – as heroic really – shouting “Stella, Stella.” He’s crying for her, he’s calling to her, and he’s yearning for her. And if she comes, yes, please, let’s die alone together.


I’m talking about this album because his new one, Parallax, is amazing. The year is slowly coming to a close and I am going to try and better it all here. The last song here, title track, powers with drumming pulse and shrouded, cloudy vocals from Cox. It’s an upbeat, springing feeling to end it all and I love the hopeful vibe. It’s a ray of light at the end, a great album for all to enjoy, now or later or whenever. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...