Thursday, August 4, 2011

Revolution Mash Good Night: The Beatles – The Beatles (White Album)

Back when music was still beginning to really pull me in, The Beatles was were foundations seemed to bridge my inner strings. It’s not as if it’s the most cliché of choices but I’d come right out and admit that this is my favorite album. . The second dot is because that’s a pretty huge statement…even if it is superficially cliché. Don’t judge me! But I found the album during a time when my surging feelings for music were just initiating and it’s always maintained as something that’s quite perfect, in my eyes.

Mostly, when you hear about The Beatles, it’s about how versatile it is. That’s a huge bullet point that always needs to hashed out and well understood. But why talk and talk about something that’s already been talk, talk talk talk, talked about so much before? I heard their producer insisted they slice the material down to one disc. I’m not sure. There’s talk that leaving all the music in was ego and nothing more. I don’t think so. But what I am sure of is that I could talk and talk talk myself all day but instead, let’s get to some of it now and more later.

I mean, I don’t know but The Beatles weren’t just amazing because they were so significant – for gosh’s sake, their music was actually magnificently created. I think we could sit here and probably break down the sheer breakthrough of their arch but that would mostly be far too objective and well, some people think ALL music is subjective. Regardless, there are some concrete beauties to point out: sequencing for their part was probably as close to perfection as possible (there’s songs that go hand-in-hand with each other simply because of their placing in the massive albums they crafted), the pure fact that every album since Rubber Soul was an attempt to re-invent, re-create, re-define the boundaries placed on their music and well, pair just those with each musician’s ability at illustrious songwriting that was and still is, beloved. These are just a few of the reasons why The Beatles, in it of themselves, were awesome and still, each one of those is never more brighter than on The Beatles. Everything just seems so much sloppier, sure, but there’s great chemistry behind the stress they were living in that even in separate studios, in separate musical worlds, in separate dimensions, they were bringing the best in each other out to the world. All of that spills onto the album’s 30 essential songs – each one a budding gem of wonder – where each one sprawls with exceptional diversity.

Part of what makes something like “Revolution 9” (I’m throwing in the easier-to-enjoy-I-guess “Revolution 1” [still wow!] at the bottom too) so appealing to weirdos like me is the way it just swirls around this tremendously trippy motif of atmospheric sounds and twitchy, jagged patterns. Instead of piecing the song together through the act of rhythmic movements that incorporate melody and harmony, the beauty of this song is the utter collage of sounds thrown against the wall to make a whirlwind of noise. You can hear crowd chatter, screeching yells, aristocratic mumble and the repeat of “number 9, number 9” and still, it’s never quite complete. I think that’s why it’s over eight minutes long, because it needed to be embellished to ever have any sort of impact. It really is genius, I think, especially when you consider the way it blends into the closer, “Good Night,” with sublime precision. The latter is nothing more than string and harmony but after the clutter and clank of the former, it just sounds sweetly like heaven. The fact that Ringo’s the only Beatle on it (singing at that) really matters little because it’s obvious the flow and closure was far more important than who was present. – Bryan





No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...