Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Antlers - Burst Apart

I know that by now, this album has to be a pretty safe bet to land on a lot of year-end lists and I know that it’s probably really HUGE, too, but I’ve been listening to The Antlers’ Burst Apart non-stop for the past week or so. I was a fan of their previous album, Hospice, a lot and I was really mad at myself for waiting so long to finally dip into this new one because it’s truly amazing. And although it might not be the desperately sad album Hospice was, it’s soaring sounds are every bit as good. I mean, Hospice was about a sordid, broken relationship with no hope and here they open with “I Don’t Want Love” and a declaration for the openness that is life without complication. It depends on how you look at it but after the sadness that love can bring, there’s strong resonance in saying, “I’ll pass on it for now” so, in other words this is definitely different territory for The Antlers.

Still, I love the way that aforementioned song bleeds into “French Exit.” With its chiming guitar, it leads way into the second song’s stuttering new guitar melody and towering keyboards. The entire song is decorated with layers of sound before lead singer/songwriter Peter Silberman sings about the bitterness around his unforgiving lover. I love how he describes the unbearable feeling of it all, “If I don’t take you somewhere else, I’m gonna pull my teeth right out.” The stunning music is gradually built into a massive wall of noise; you can definitely hear The National’s influence with a style that is still very personal. In the end, it’s best not to get any kind of pity really, “I’m not a puppy you take home, don’t bother trying to fix my heart.”


There are so many good songs on this album and I’ll try not to overhype it too much but I love “Hounds” and its almost, advising words. “Slow down” is what he’s calling out and it’s somehow about how he’s only trying to protect her, trying to just “belong to you.” The music is pensive and reflective with the soothing tones of a melodic guitar and while the words still leave a lot to wonder, the title implies a racing dog just trying to get to the breast of his lover. Even in the night while others are trying to loosen her up with drinks and trying to look at her, he declares: “While I look everywhere for you.” It’s a beautiful sentiment, one that makes perfect sense in the moment and in the end, a gorgeous way to deliver it all; this album’s filled with special songs all over. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...