Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Interpol - Antics

I finally got out of my Spencer Krug kick with some snow and a day off from work. It’s a little strange really in that I’m at home and not really sure of what to do with myself. But so I’ve gotten tired of listening to music on the computer speakers because it sounds so bad and I decided to grab something on vinyl and just blast it off the stereo speakers. I remember listening to Antics in 2004 and loving its dark undertones and currents, and how everything swirled around their lead singer’s spectacular voice. I remember reading how this was ‘light Interpol’ as compared to the supposed ‘dark Interpol’ on Turn On the Bright Lights and well, I was still confused. Interpol’s always had a dark sound – and it’s a genuine darkness too, unlike what all the haters say – but on a few songs on Antics, I guess, they shine some light on the ominous snow.

One of the instantly recognizable songs is “Slow Hands” and its hugely dance-able rhythms and patterns. Not to mention that the words are some of the easiest to sing along to; but what really makes it stand out is how well everything seems to fit together. It’s kind of about being awe-struck with someone and realizing that there is so much going on around you that you’re missing out on. He sings “And I might stop and look upon your face…disappear in the sweet, sweet gaze” in where he simply gets lost by her “charms & grace.” The guitar is the stunning melody that always drives through and I especially love the way the instruments come in and out of focus before exploding on the choruses. All of it’s so well done, I wish I knew how to play guitar so I could sing “You make me want to pick up a guitar and celebrate the myriad ways that I love you” and actually mean it. Ha, until then.


For the longest time, I always thought of Interpol lyrics as some of the best around. It wasn’t until most recently that I found out they aren’t really that good? I’m not sure but I love the honesty and sincerity in something like “C’mere.” I remember being deeply in love listening to this song and lines like “Oh, how I love you, and in the evening, when we are sleeping” are easily affecting because of how they pinpoint just how beautiful normal life can be. The ‘oh how I love you’ line is so endearing, in how you get lost in her gaze (like mentioned before) and you just need to tell her how much you care for her. I still love the song as much as I ever did before – I’m glad it didn’t lose that luster and glean – but I can appreciate it for its overly lovely presentation now more so ,too. It’s a nice soundtrack to a snow day in. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...