Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty

I’ve been down and out for a while now and I realized that I didn’t have a heart to write on here. I’m not sure I still even now but there’s too much good music to talk about that even when times seem down and out, there’s too much gorgeous stuff out there to find. Either way, Big Boi’s album, Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty, has been something I’ve been digging for the past few weeks now. The most recent time I mowed the lawn, I put this on and it drove me to a memorable experience – or at least as ‘memorable’ as mowing the lawn can be. But I was floored at how great it sounds; Andre or not, the name of Outkast is still music royalty and Big Boi is still one of the best MCs around.

I dig the smooth vibes of “Turns Me On” for various reasons: it’s about getting it on and finding out what turns you on, no matter how freaky or not it is. But it’s also about “DAMN…that turns me on.” Kind of like when you see a beautiful woman that you’ve been scoping for quite some time and she kind of just walks by but lets you know – just enough – that she noticed you too. So yeah, a lot of it is aesthetic proportions and bias but then you have this sultry organ, a low-smoke of a hook (sung by Sleepy Brown”) and a driving snare to back everything up: damn.


And then there was “Back Up Plan,” which is very simply about making sure that you always have a back up plan, with women. No matter how confident it all may seem, no matter how bad-ass she seems, always make sure that you have a back up plan in case it all falls through. I love how Big Boi details how grimey and intense the situation got but still, “I knew I was wrong for thinking that she cared…that’s why I stay prepared.” The chorus is easily one of the album’s best (brisk, bumping and booming) and it’s an upbeat kiss-off to the evilness of women – as beautiful as they are. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...