Monday, April 19, 2010

Record Store Day

This past Saturday was the annual celebration of record store day, a day where vinyl lovers come together to their local record store to eat up sales, exclusive releases and much more. For the longest time, we’ve struggled with not having a reliable store to be able to visit frequently. Fortunately, for everyone, the people at All That Music have banded together to not only feature vinyl in a more prominent fashion but they’ve even extended the vinyl out onto the floor and for the first time, have new vinyl.

See, I always order my stuff online, either through a reliable place like Insound (who is very good about taking care of your vinyl, offering discounts and free goodies) or Amazon but I’ve always craved being able to rummage through stacks of records to find old and new finds. Nick had mentioned going down to the store but I honestly did not have much hope and I even kidded that they wouldn’t even have any of the exclusive record store day releases that bands/artists put out. Boy was I glad I was wrong!

The store was filled with customers, everything was 20% off and I got some really good stuff. Besides picking up my copy of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings’ newest, I picked up four 7” that are all wonderful. Here they are:

Julian Casablancas – 11th Dimension (Live from Electric Lady Studios for WXRP, New York) with Long Island Blues

This is a 7” that features a version of “11th Dimension” recorded at Electric Lady Studios. The song was the lead single off Casablancas’ solo debut from last year, Phrazes for the Young and it’s easily, just as strong on here. The other side is an unreleased song that finds him a bit more subdued but still, very effective.

Rodriguez – Inner City Blues/I’m Gonna Live till I Die

The veteran bluesman created this 7” in an awesome gatefold that was limited to only 1,500 copies (mine is numbered #83!) and on one side it features him doing a live version of “Inner City Blues” recorded on the streets of Paris, while the other is a cover of Sinatra’s “I’m Gonna Live Till I Die.” This was probably the most unique find and everything from the packaging to the performances are downright great.

Wilco – You Never Know b/w Unlikely Japan

I don’t think this 7” was a record store day exclusive but I was ecstatic to find it. “Unlikely Japan” was written during the Sky Blue Sky sessions and is a spin-off of “Impossible Germany.” Though rare, it’s also a terrific song that is a must for any Wilco fans. The other side, “You Never Know,” was the lead single off the band’s album from last year, Wilco (The Album). It’s the studio version but a nice fuller contrast to what’s on the other side.

Peter Gabriel and Stephin Merritt – The Book of Love & Not One of Us

This 7” was released on Peter Gabriel’s own Real World record label and it features the two songwriters writing songs for each other that the other then performs. “Not One of Us” is an upbeat, synth-driven song that was written by Gabriel and sung with vivid style by Merritt; the other side is “The Book of Love,” a lovely, string-laden song that is exceptional because of Merritt’s own personal style but sung in Gabriel’s soaring voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...