Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Deerhunter - Cryptograms

The first time I heard Deerhunter was back during the old days The Wax Museum was around. Cleverly titled, it was a tiny store on Montana near downtown that prevailed amongst true vinyl heads. The owner ran a modest shop that catered to funk, old soul and jazz, some electronic and some indie music. He had a few books, a few cassettes and a few CDs to sell as well and he’d always be willing to let you play the record first and hear it before purchasing. I had heard this band from Georgia was coming to El Paso but I just sort of shelved it and never gave it much thought. The concert came and went and I went a week later to find copies of Cryptograms at the Wax Museum and I promptly bought one.

I bought the CD and immediately realized how foolish I was for not going to see them in concert. Half of the album is these ambient pieces that sort of melt into the linings of the music and act as breathers in between the intensity of the other half. The rest is a noisy and poppy but still rocking set of songs that showcase Deerhunter in full-on assault mode. “Octet” is a song that combines both of these styles onto one song that shines on the album. The beginning sounds like tranquil vibes of water glistening in the night and then a bass dives in. The music swells and grows from here with hi-hat, Bradford Cox’s growling vocals and the surrounding noise coming to a head.

What’s probably most amazing about a band like Deerhunter is how their albums really do change in terms of sound. They’re the kind of young band that has already mastered the ability of being able to drastically try out new mediums and new modes and they never, ever sound the same. Nothing from Cryptograms will be seen on Halcyon Digest, nothing from Microcastle was relatively close to Monomania. A truly remarkable band, “Lake Somerset” is simply the highlight of this album for me. It has the menacing guitar throughout and the drums come in dashes of light and heavy and Cox’s voice again takes over with even more snarling. But the magic of this song is the way it just massively roars and my goodness, it needs to be played as loud as possible every single time to be able to take in its entire glory. It has two separate instances where it just grows into explosions and the pay-off is everything. They came around to El Paso one more time and with my arm branded and all (BRADFORD WAS HERE), they played this song. Front row with my ears begging for it to stop, I didn’t care, it was pure bliss and that’s what Deerhunter is about – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...