Tuesday, February 7, 2012

John Legend - Get Lifted (pt. one)

I remember getting The College Dropout some time in March of 2004 and simply shredding my copy with so much replaying. I had a copy that was pristine and well-kept but I played it so much that it all rotted away. I even had a small DJ gig at the university where I would play music on the third floor of the union to like the fifteen or so people hanging out there. We had these little turntables where you placed the CD inside and got to maneuver it on the top as if you were spinning a record. I must've played “Jesus Walks” a surefire fifty times that semester. I loved the way Kanye could make the song sizzle with controversy and there was a fantastic male voice towards the end, powering the chorus. That man was John Legend and he came out with this album right after Christmas that year. Here is the aforementioned song because it is bad ass.


I remember buying Get Lifted and really digging the soulful textures Legend was honing in on. Influenced by everyone from Stevie to Aretha, Legend is a full-bodied singer that has tremendous range and dynamics. This album was mostly forgotten – it didn’t even get nominated for the 2004 or 2005 Grammys, but not until the 2006 Grammys, how foolish right? – as is with most stuff, it took people forever to finally ‘get it.’ Either way, I had a CD copy of it and it was my personal copy until I gave it away and never bought another copy since. I recently got it on vinyl and while the nostalgia is mostly impossible to ignore, it’s nowhere nearly significant to even care about more than a mention. It’s an album I definitely missed with some stellar Kanye West production sprinkled in.

The first proper song is perfect to begin. On “Let’s Get Lifted” the basis is simple, let him take you on a fantastic ride where everyone can get lifted. Sure, it’s about getting higher than before but it’s not a literal feeling and more of a rush of energy, a rush of excitement, a rush of blood to the head, kind of. I like the laid back drums and the way Legend sings to the calm of his own flow: lush and rich. His voice has always been strong but I like how he sings, sort of raps and more as the star on this album. The song is typical West with vibrant flows but Legend makes it both melodic, driving and sweeping.


I’m mentioning the first half here because it’s where all the West-produced stuff appears. I can maybe write about the second half later because it’s definitely a bit dissimilar. On “Alright” the value comes in the way it’s like a strong, confident smoothness that prevails throughout. There’s piano, rumbling synths and tapping beats that pop and crack at the right time. Legend is basically drawing attention to his swagger and warns that whatever man that wants to mess with him, “You better tell him he don’t want it me.” The lyrical content on this album ranged from cheating females to cheating males to strong, empowered males, to a confidence no matter what the situation is and Legend is definitely an assertive weapon. I don’t even have the second album by him as I stupidly gave it away too, I gotta ‘get with it’ myself because that one has my personal favorite Legend song. Maybe soon. Ha. – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...