Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stone Rollin & The Way I See It: Part 2 in the Evolution of Raphael Saadiq


So we left off in 2002 with Saadiq's first solo album "Instant Vintage", a great example of neo-soul present at the turn of the millennium. His next album, "Ray Ray" released in 2004 was slightly more funk oriented and slightly more radio friendly but still didn't get him much recognition beyond the R&B charts. However in 2008, Saadiq returned with an album that sounded completely different. Returning to the roots of R&B, Saadiq created an album with the classic Motown sound. Entitled "The way I see It", Saadiq began to to get more credit for his originality and even saw him landing spots on the summer festival circuit. Any time I play the album for first time listeners I ask them to guess when the songs were recorded. If it weren't for the high fidelity 9 out of 10 listeners would say late 60's. Everything from the style of the songs to the equipment used in recording beckon back to the early days of rythm and soul.

Here is a track that sounds equal parts Earth, Wind and Fire and The Shirelles all stirred up in the Big Easy. Featuring The Infamous Young Spodie & the Rebirth Brass Band, here the song aptly entitled "The Big Easy".

Somebody tell me, what's goin wrong
I ain't seen my baby in far too long
Somebody pleeease tell me what's goin wrong
They say them ladies broke and my babys gone
(listen) Its been a couple of days and a real dark night
I miss my only child, I ain't seen her since that night
She left home about eight, and never to return
Our bodies floatin, flowin through that River"

Another favorite track that shows Saadiqs doo wop side is an up beat little tune finding Saadiq lamenting about the fear when entering a new love affair. Entitled, "Sure Hope You Mean it", here Saadiq performs live on the Jools Holland Show.

"do you mean what you say when you say that you love me
with all honesty i think i love you
it's every day i think about how special this could be
and how your love is everything to me
in my mind i can see no one but you
like in my dreams i know i'm holding you
so now tell me truth cause i need to know
see i wanna take control but you gotta let me know
don't fool me baby"

Finally this brings us to his latest effort, "Stone Rollin". Now many might say that the classic soul and R&B thing revived over the recent years is just a fad or a bandwagon artists have been jumping on, but from acts like Sharon Jones and The Dapkings to Adele, and of course Raphael and this lates effort, its simply not true. Soul, the way it was created, will be here for plenty years to come. Saadiq's and others latest efforts are a sure testement of this ideal. Where "The Way I see It", ventures back in time to a Motown era of poppy ballads and doo wop sing a longs, "Stone Rollin" explores the grittier more electrified aspect of classic soul and R&B. Where the Motown sound was clean around the edges, Saadiq takes sharp turn into Soulsville USA with a bluesier lo-fi sound Stax Records was known for.
Right out the gate the opener sounds more Chuck Berry than Smoke Robinson, but Saadiq undeniably makes "Heart Attack" his own.

"You giving me a heart attack
Girl I want you back
I just cant stand it no more
You giving me a heart attack
Girl I want you back
My heart cant take it no more"

Here's the title track from the Album and though it sounds semi familiar from "The Way I See It" territory, 5 seconds in the harmonica gives it an edge absent and the previous album.

"Fat lady shakin, backbone breakin (come on)
(This girl of mine)
Everything she's got is movin and hot (come on)
(This girl of mine)
I was just a friend but she took me in said (come on)
(This girl of mine)
Everything was right I felt like the light said (come on)
(This girl of mine)"

The last song I'll leave you with has a plush arrangement of stings and sounds like It could've possibly been produced by Stax's own Black Moses..Maybe that's just my ear, but here is "Good Man".

Long Live Soul Music-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...