Friday, August 13, 2010

Stan Getz - Sweet Rain

OK seriously though, before I saw Nick’s post I had earlier today played the first part of Sweet Rain here at home. Lately, I’ve been wanting to really try and strengthen whatever chops I have in jazz to be somewhat on par with some of my other favorite genres. I still consider jazz to be the best of the best and easily, the music I would select if I only had one choice. And get this for a line-up on this album: Stan Getz on tenor, Chick Corea on piano, Grady Tate on drums and Ron Carter on bass.

This has to be one of Getz’ best albums, a definite classic in my book and that’s on any scale, jazz or all. This was after Getz had finally surpassed his bossa nova stylings and during a time where he was just ready to start coming out of his shell into the superb master craftsmen he was. Corea’s piano is sparse enough to allow Getz to get creative and even with two of Corea’s songs appearing from the five selected, Getz is still the driving force. “Litha” sounds especially nice because it acts as a ruffling beginning to the swaying gentleness of the other four tracks. Getz stuns with his usual lyrical melodic brilliance but this time, he is fast-paced, intense and on the move, always. Still, it’s absolutely stunning - if you want to hear why some even think he is better than Coltrane, check this one out:


None of the other three songs I wanted to pick were available so here is the cover they do of Antonio Carlos Jobim’s “O Grande Amor.” Actually, I think this is off another one of his albums but nonetheless, Getz still had that Brazilian flavor and Jobim’s song is a gorgeous one:
- Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...