Wednesday, May 5, 2010

NINA


The past few weeks I've been listening to a lot of Nina Simone, and i realized I have not once come across any of her albums on vinyl. Again, it's not like I'm digging in the most eclectic of places (sorry chuco). I'm not exactly sure why her stuff is so rare but I do know her work is complex and some of the most emotional music I've ever heard.
On a side note, my dream job would be to edit theatrical trailers for films, and one of the most moving trailers I've seen in recent years had Nina's one of a kind voice as it's soundtrack. Sadly enough, never saw the movie.
The song is named "Wild is the Wind" and there are so many things going on with her voice, the way she milks each note, and especially here trademark haunting vibrato. AMAZING
Now the actual reason I decided on Nina post was for 2 reasons. First being that our co contributor Bryan just got a bad ass new phone, which he bought solely for the hip advertising campaign. All kidding aside the commercial for the company is bad ass and uses a sample from a Nina Simone song. Second, Bryan posted about Mr. Kweli, who also uses a sample from the SAME SONG! So of course yours truly had to bring this to your attention. Nina's song who both HTC and Kanye sample is entitled "Sinnerman" and is an epic piece of music.

HTC via production of Felix da Housecat uses the beginning piano from Sinnerman looped over and over.
Kanye on the other hand uses the way back groove section of Nina's "Sinnerman". The very beginning of "Get By", which Bryan posted about a few days ago uses the very end of Simone's version. Sample appears at arround 8:30. The piano part that kanye uses appears at 4:50. DOPE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...