Sunday, March 28, 2010

New Music & 2010 Songs, Pt. 3

I’m gonna leave Nice Nice for Nick to write about since he has some special goodies to share but I will introduce them with this great quote that can be found by checking out Titus Andronicus’ website. I wish I could state just how good the former was but let me borrow a quote from their frontman, Patrick Stickles, on the band:

If I had to pick one moment of this tour where I really achieved transcendence, though, it would have to be a few nights ago in El Paso, where we found ourselves playing second on a four band bill, after our pals Let's Wrestle, but before this band called Nice Nice (not named after the club from the Lifter Puller mythology, I found out), who I had never heard of before. Long story short, THEY ARE FUCKING AMAZING.

Truly a remarkable duo, they’re precise, flawless and even their ‘mistakes’ sound like part of the music, this is what they look like:


Closing out the night was UK-based but from Australia band, Pivot. The trio has been known for having a strong love for Talking Heads so there was some urge that maybe they’d rip into a live show of their music but alas, no dice. Nonetheless, their music is layered with sounds of shimmering guitar on top of the band’s intensified drumming. While electronics play a small role, their sound is obviously influenced by the romanticism of the 80s but with a much larger current riding throughout. The crowd was smaller for these guys and that was truly unfortunate; they put on an impressively musical live show – just enough to remind you that shows like these shouldn’t be so far apart.

Another song from 2010 that is absolutely outstanding is Spoon’s “I Saw the Light.” It’s a tour de force that changes tempos, styles and even meters throughout it’s magnetic music. It’s on their new album, Transference, which is as usual, another solid album from Spoon. The video isn’t the best but it is the best I could find and check out that ending coda, it’s amazing. There’s no reason why it should be ignored and with a song as good as this nestled in the heart of the album, why would you want to ignore them anyways? – Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...