Sunday, March 7, 2010

2010 Oscars: Bryan's Side


The Oscars always bring everyone out of the woodworks. Casual movie followers become film connoisseurs and everyone has an opinion but the only one that matters is the people that vote for them. It's cliché when admitting that the best films rarely win but even more, some of the best aren't even nominated (don't get me started on how Finding Nemo wasn't nominated for Best Picture its year.) And I feel so behind because for a few years, I followed film with a fervent passion. Not only did I see all of my favorite actors' and directors' films but I'd follow the critically-acclaimed stuff too. It's where I came to love smaller known films (at the time) like Life is Beautiful, City of God, and Quiz Show, just to name a few. But somewhere along the way, I haven't kept up, I haven't had that drive I used to have and it's been a struggle. I was able to watch some stuff from last year, a few notes: Mickey Rourke was robbed and Wall-E should've at least been nominated for Best Picture, if not THE best film last year. Maybe I can do better this year, maybe not.

This year's awards were, as usual, filled with great surprises and rather than filling this with too much long-winded babbling, here are my thoughts. What was up with George Clooney and Alec Baldwin tonight? I'm a huge Clooney fan though so it's all good. I'm not sure how Quentin Tarantino didn't win best original screenplay but then again, I'm still peeved he didn't win Best Picture for Pulp Fiction. And oh, not even a Best Pic. Nomination for Reservoir Dogs? Shameful. The dancing theme for the Original Score nominees was golden. A great combination of fluid movement with impeccable music makes for a terrific performance. And it set up nicely for Up to open it up for the huge drums of Avatar – fortunately the former, far more deserving score, won. And mentioning the latter, it's funny seeing just how much The Hurt Locker and Avatar camps hate each other. This is already on top of the producer's emails and the fact that they sat ex-husband (James Cameron) and wife (Kathryn Bigelow), competing against each other, right in front of each other. I'd still say Up was the best movie from last year, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 2, Episode 5: UNWANTED ENDINGS

We have a new episode: the fifth one to our second season available HERE ! I don't know how consistent THIS will be but since I mention ...